Where to start!!
After a tough day in the saddle yesterday for Day 3, a message from a beautiful family discussing the impact Starlight Children’s Foundation has on sick children, an emotional 56 riders got the uplift they needed to start another long 140-kilometre ride from Ballarat to Bendigo.
Firstly, what an amazing reason we all decide to take on this challenge. No child ever deserves to get sick, and the work the teams at Starlight Children’s Foundation and Very Special Kids do is outstanding. Secondly, the team from Chain Reaction are world-class, it’s the most amazing experience, it is so well organised, and you are extremely well looked after.
Today’s 140 kilometres wasn’t as challenging as the day before, with the peloton starting at the top of Ballarat and rolling through to Hepburn Springs. The weather gods had been very kind on the first two days but decided the peloton should experience a little rain on Day 4. The group rode really well in the tough conditions. The spin through the sprinkling rain was made more enjoyable by the scenic Victorian countryside.
After taking a rest stop in Daylesford for morning tea, we rolled on through some mild undulations, enjoyed some free play (pace up and stress the legs) and arrived in Harcourt for the most fantastic lunch. Our stomachs thanked us!
Leaving lunch, we made our way up another challenging climb before descending into Bendigo and arriving at the Bendigo Velodrome, where a number of teams ran hot laps testing out their speed and competitive spirit.
It has been a wonderful 4 days, with another 3 to go. If you are reading this and considering taking on the challenge, I highly recommend it.
At the evening meal, the following Competition Jerseys were awarded.
- Navy sponsored by Porter Davis went to Tom Curtain of the Camlen / Bell Team and Adam Thomas of the KordaMentha Melbourne Team
- Orange leader's jersey, sponsored by Pure Storage, went to James Williams of the Cameron / Simonds Team
- Polka dot,' King of the Mountain' Henley jersey went to Tom Hayne of the Marshall White Team
- Green' Sprinter's jersey', sponsored by Domain, went to Glenn Hepple of the Jellis Craig Team
- Black, "Spirit of Chain Reaction" LSH Auto jersey went to Tom Watson of the KordaMentha Melbourne Team